Saturday, April 2, 2011

Buckwheat pancakes

Hello all,

I wanted to share my favorite recipe, buckwheat pancakes.  I make these when I don't have any time for anything else, or when I'm really hungry and I'm waiting for my food to cook.  This recipe is similar to the crackers but the consistency here needs to be more runny.
  • buckwheat flour (again if you can only get the groats use a coffee grinder to grind it into flour)
  • salt
  • 1 tbs. olive oil
  • water
If you want sweet pancakes I add a spoonful of cream cheese and a glob of honey into the mixture. But if you are in the mood for a salty snack try adding some garlic, basil or pepper.

I preheat my pan (I use a cast iron pan so it takes a bit to heat but cooks better when fully heated) on a medium to low heat.  In a bowl I mix all the ingredients adding as much water as is needed to keep the consistency a little runny almost like cake batter.  Once the pan is heated add a tiny bit of olive oil to prevent sticking then pour the batter into the pan.  You may be tempted to use a higher heat, but the nature of buckwheat works better when cooked on a lower heat.  Flip the pancake over when it begins to bubble a little or if it doesn't when it begins to look a little darker around the edges.  Cook the other side for a few minutes until it sounds almost hollow when you tap the top of the pancake. 

I usually top my pancakes with honey when I eat them but if they are salty I'll add cheese or cream cheese.  They are also really good by themselves if that's all you've got. 

These pancakes may not look like Bisquick pancakes, but they will definitely satisfy your cravings and don't be afraid to experiment with ingredients, you might just surprise yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment